I want to share with you one of my favorite quotes. "The true measure of success is how many times you can bounce back from failure". What I am trying to say is, it is OK to fail, we all fail at some point in our lives but what is NOT OK is to GIVE UP! Remember, at the end of the day, what truly matters is, YOU PASS the exam, no one will know or care if you failed it even 100 times. You should also understand that this test does not evaluate how smart you are, there are some people who are good at taking these type of tests and some people are not, and it does not mean they are not smart at all. So I am going to share with you, the steps that you can take to start studying, enjoying, and passing your test:
- STOP beating yourself up, STOP calling yourself stupid, STOP feeling like a loser, just STOP, ALL of it! You are honestly just making it worse! Forgive yourself, be OK for failing. Remember, "Failure will never overtake you if your determination to succeed is strong enough." Just stay strong and you will get there!
- Overcome your fear of failing! Don't let the fear of failure be in the way of your success!
- Set up daily goals and try to work towards those goals. Be proud of yourself whenever you accomplish a goal but also be kind to yourself if you could not achieve what you wanted to achieve! There will always be tomorrow, especially if you know that you are truly trying your hardest! Sometimes, it can be difficult to stay motivated, after a long day at work or at school or you just had a long week and you feel exhausted! Give yourself a break, treat yourself with kindness, so when tomorrow comes, you will have a better focus and energy because you were kind to yourself and you recharged without feeling guilty or tired from exhausting your emotions and your mind!
- Learn from your past mistakes, evaluate how you studied for the previous tests, be truly honest with yourself, the truth can be harsh sometimes but that is the only way you can study different this time. Be ready to make changes to your studying habits, try to do study smart and efficient.
- Don't be afraid to focus on your weaknesses. It is easy for us to do the problems that we are comfortable with because it makes us feel good at the moment, it is like eating a bar of chocolate when we are not feeling good, it gives us instant gratification but it does not help us solve or deal with the real issue! Be ready to challenge yourself and overcome your weaknesses!
- Don't forget to ENJOY it! A lot of people focus so much on the result that they totally forget to enjoy learning and being. Get excited to learn and review some engineering concepts. Live the moment, stop living in the past or wishing and daydreaming that you passed and stop worrying what if you fail again! You are doing it again! You are setting yourself up for failure! Don't let the stress take the fun out of the journey!
- Lastly, stay positive and be confident! If you follow the six steps above, it will directly have a great impact on your thoughts and your confidence. Our thoughts are very powerful, it can either destroy us or move us towards success, it is up to you to choose which one you want!
And finally, I am going to end this post with this quote that might sound cheesy but I am still going to share it with you because I believe in it and you can apply it in any aspect of your lives:
"Self-confidence is a superpower, once you start believing in yourself, the magic starts happening"!